As much as we want to always get the finest quality gold jewelry, our budget may not agree with us all the time. Buying gold plated jewelry is a great option when you’re looking for an accessory or a gift that doesn’t break your bank and this goes for any type of jewelry, may it be a ring or a necklace. That's where gold and silver plating jewelry come in handy. Gold or silver plating is a process where a thin layer of gold or silver is placed on to coat the surface of another metal.
Nowadays, having gold plated jewelry is not only for those who can’t afford a full gold jewelry. They are very popular with fashionistas out there because of its practicality and because it’s available in various designs and styles that goes perfectly well with any piece of clothing. To decrease the chances of wearing out, here are easy ways on keeping the luster of your gold plated jewelry. As it is a thin layer of gold, extra care should be taken to maximize its lifespan.
- Every after use, clean your plated jewelry with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt it has acquired. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewelry using a soft jewelry cloth also helps restore shine.
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold plated jewelry. Wear your jewelry after you have sprayed on your favorite perfume so that chemicals on the spray or perfume does not interact with your jewelry’s metal.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated ring, bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, perfume and the like may react with metal/plated jewelry and will cause it to tarnish easily. This also goes with sweat, so make sure you don’t forget to remove your gold plated jewelry when you exercise or anything that would require heavy physical work, and also when swimming.
- If your jewelry needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft brush. Stay away from jewelry cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will just make your gold plated jewelry tarnish more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewelry in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewelry box separate from other types of jewelry you have.